Tuesday, June 28, 2022

hello, hello, hello!




Hey friends!!!

It's been a minute! I seem to have a terrible habit of dropping on the earth periodically, then I start to miss blogging again, and must make my return!

So here I am again! I certainly can't promise I will be posting with any regularity (because who are we kidding, this is Miss Woodhouse talking), but I will definitely be popping in now and again with a fun post for ya'll!

So, to kick off my return, I thought I'd give you a brief update on myself! 


The Ordinary: 

I really haven't been doing much out of the ordinary, aside from a bit of traveling, which has been fantastic!


The Books:

I will probably do some more in depth posts about some of these books later, but for now...

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith: Talk about an absolutely lovely vibe. A little quirky and weird in some spots, but an excellent read just the same.

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot: SO GOOD. Literally so wholesome and sweet and hilarious, and I mean, it's the English Dales! And English Villages! And a quaint veterinary practice! What more could one ask for?

Jewel of The Nile by Tessa Afshar: Interesting. Definitely not terrible, but a little cheesy. Enjoyably cheesy though.

The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis: Believe it or not, this was the first time I've read all the way through the Narnia series. And it was rough, my friends. When the first line of the book is, "In the last days of Narnia...", you know it's gonna be a hard one. Definitely extremely well done (I mean, it's Clive Staples Lewis) and the last few chapters made me cry, but I believe it's safe to say I will probably not be reading that one again. I'm still emotionally recovering XD

The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling: SO SO SOOOO MANY THOUGHTS. but I'm saving that for a post of it's own ;)


The TV Shows and Movies:

All Creatures Great and Small: JUST AS WHOLESOME, IF NOT MORE, THAN THE BOOK. Absolutely Perfect.

Heartland: A lot of fun. A little dramatic and angsty at times, but cute. 

Road to Avonlea: Who are we kidding, it will forever and always be my comfort show <3

Once Upon a Time: My goodness gracious, the cheeeeeeese. But I can't help it, I get hooked sometimes XD

Agent Carter: Really trying to stick this one out, because I love Peggy Carter and the 1940s, but wow, why so gory, Marvel folks??

Top Gun: Maverick: THE WAY I LOVE THIS MOVIE. Again, absolutely deserving of its own post, because WOW. The cinematography, the music, the storyline, ROOSTER! I mean, please, the whole thing is cinematic perfection!

Downton Abbey: A New Era: Fabulous, as always. It's nice to finally see Anna and Bates #thriving. Actually most of them are doing pretty good in this movie, so that was nice XD. Nothing jaw dropping, but it had a lovely aesthetic and a fairly good storyline. (ALTHOUGH, anyone else bothered that they basically stole the plot of Singin' in the Rain?!? That was rather dumb.)


The Current Obsessions:

Pinterest: Forever and Always a major fan of Pinterest. I mean, I get to organize pretty pictures into pretty little boxes, what more could you want?

The Marauders: This stems from my recent Harry Potter read, and no doubt you will be hearing a LOT more about them in future. Seriously, I've never been this invested in a bunch of characters who never even got their own books??! LIKE THEY'RE AMAZING. send help

Writing: Probably a given, but I tend to go through very dry spells when I just don't feel inspired, and I've just come out of one of those feeling very excited to write and just get my thoughts out on paper!


That's about it for now! I'm excited to be back, yet again! I also have been trying to catch up on commenting on everyone's recent posts, but my google account is being weird and not letting me comment as myself, so that's a work in progress. 

How about you all! What have you been up to? How's life? Drop me a comment and let's chat!!


Yours Truly,

Miss Woodhouse

10 comments:

  1. Oh, my I remember when I found all the marauder fanart on Pinterest, I think I'd read Harry Potter a couple times by then.

    I listened to the James Herriot books on audiobook narrated by Christopher Timothy the first James Herriot on tv (haven't seen that one, but his voice brought the stories ALIVE). I've just started the new PBS show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yesss, there is so much Pinterest fanart, although I'm not a huge fanart person myself ;) I've only read the whole Harry Potter series once, but afterwards was when the marauders era truly hit XD

      I haven't seen the original show either, but I've heard it's good! Oooo I might have to check out the audio book version! I'd love to know your thoughts on the PBS show! I love how sweet it is!

      Delete
  2. Your blog look is GORGEOUSSSSSS. *happy sigh*

    Hey, I recently reread both I Capture the Castle and the Narnia books, as well! I'm with you on both of them. ICTC has some flaws but is also lovely, and The Last Battle is good but messes me up.

    I adore Once Upon a Time and Agent Carter. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Olivia!! <3

      Yes! I loved ICTC (minus a few interesting things) and The Last Battler was just sooo much pain. Glad I'm not the only one XD

      Once Upon a Time is just sooo good, I can't help but love it, despite the cheesiness haha. Agent Carter is a fairly new show for me, and I really like the characters so far, but it's a bit more gory than I was expecting, so I don't know if I can keep going without feeling ick, you know? XD

      Thank you so much for your comment dear!

      Delete
  3. Top Gun is so great !!!!! I'm so excited to see the second one! Great hearing from you :)
    -Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Victoria!!

      Yesss it's so good! The second one too is so worth it! Great to hear from you too!! :)

      Delete
  4. Welcome back, Miss Woodhouse! It's great to see a post from you again! I quite enjoyed reading about the books and movies you've been reading and watching lately. So many familiar titles. :)

    My husband bought me the entire set of All Creatures Great and Small books for my birthday. I had started reading the first one years ago but never finished it. I'm looking forward to reading through them hopefully soon.

    The Last Battle always made me feel a bit down. It's just so hard to read about Narnia being in such a bad state. It is beautiful and happy at the end though from what I can remember. Still, it's a much more serious book than all the others I think.

    I'm quite curious to hear your thoughts on Harry Potter. I take it this was your first time reading the books? Have you ever seen the movies?

    Is it the current All Creatures Great and Small show that you've been watching? I have yet to see that one, but I'd like to sometime. Though I'm afraid I probably won't like it so well as you do since I really love the old All Creatures Great and Small show and will have a hard time not comparing them.

    I saw a couple episodes of Road to Avonlea several years ago. That's a show I wouldn't mind exploring further at some point. It's always nice to have a comfort show. :)

    Oooh, Agent Carter. I made it through the first season and that was enough for me. I liked the 1940s vibe and some of the characters and all that, but it was the absolutely cold-blooded evil of the villains that got to me after awhile. I can only handle so much of that before it starts to creep me out and leave me feeling kind of sick inside, if you know what I mean. There were some fun characters in that show though. :)

    My husband and I actually just watched the original Top Gun movie for the first time a few days ago. It was a bit cheesy in parts, but pretty fun, too. We've talked about going to see the sequel sometime, though we don't have any official plans at this point. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's always fun finding a new movie that you like. :)

    I have yet to see either of the Downton Abbey movies. I'm curious to watch them sometime, though I'm not sure I'll particularly like the direction they go in. At least for some things. I feel like the sixth season wrapped up so nicely, that the movies might just ruin it a bit. (Haha! That's funny about it having a Singin' in the Rain plot though. Very strange.)

    Also, last and final thought...your new blog design is gorgeous!! I was very impressed with your header. The ripped paper at the corners is really cool looking!

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss March!! It's so good to hear from you!

      Ooo I'd love to hear your thoughts on the series when you finish it! I've only read the first book so far and I can't wait to read the rest!

      Yeeesss, the ending of the Last Battle was really beautiful, but the rest was so sad and such a struggle.

      Harry Potter post with allll my thoughts definitely coming soon! This was my first time reading the series, and I've only seen the first movie (and not sure yet if I want to see the others) so I'm a real newbie haha.

      I'm watching the newer PBS All Creatures Great and Small, and it's really lovely! I've never seen the older one, although I'd like too!

      It's such a sweet, chill feeling show, I definitely recommend it!!

      That's how I'm feeling about Agent Carter too! Definitely some fun characters, and you gotta love the 40s, but I really don't love the amount of gore it has. As much as I love Peggy, it might not be my cup of tea.

      Yeeess, the orignal Top Gun is so iconic! Definitely a bit cheesy, but pretty fun. I definitely recommend the sequel, it's so good! (better than the first, in my opinion ;))

      Yeah, the Downton movies are definitely interesting in some aspects. They not necessarily a must see, but they have a fun, classy return to Downton type feeling!

      Aww thank you so much dear!! I had a lot of fun putting it together! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh oh oh Miss March I do hope you enjoy the James Herriot books, they are an absolute treat and I adore them (and the new (and original) All Creatures Great and Small tv series!)

    ~ Miss Winifred
    https://lettersfromavonlea.blogspot.com/2022/07/lake-of-beauty-by-edward-carpenter.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there Miss Woodhouse, so lovely to meet you! I’m Miss Winifred.

    This is probably going to be a really long comment so my apologies in advance. I do hope your travelling has been rewarding! I’m hoping to go to Japan next year but I’m still working out logistics.

    // The Books //

    I actually have ‘I Capture The Castle’ sitting next to me but I haven’t yet gotten around to it due to the business of my postgraduate degree (grad school). Hopefully on the next holidays I’ll pick it up!

    ‘All Creatures Great and Small’ is my childhood, both the original tv series that I saw on DVD when I was little (and I think it’s on YouTube now) and the books. It reminds me of the time I spent in the Yorkshire Dales with my Godparents when I was little, I miss it so much and I adore the new adaptation too! I’m hoping to go back and teach there once I’ve done my postgraduate study!

    Jewel of the Nile, I haven’t read yet, it sounds interesting though!

    The Last Battle; “I’m still emotionally recovering” me too.. me.too.

    Harry Potter! Another childhood favourite as I’m of the Potter generation. I’m rereading the books with my young nephew and niece at the moment and it’s great reliving the magic.

    // The TV Shows and Movies //

    All Creatures Great and Small: Yes to all.

    Heartland I haven’t seen.

    Road to Avonlea I haven’t seen as it’s so rare to find here in Australia which is such a shame as that historical era is my era of speciality (albeit in England) as a Historian.

    Once Upon A Time: I’ve seen the first episode but I just don’t have the time to keep watching, it’s a cool premise for a show idea though!

    Agent Carter: I love Peggy Carter too!

    Top Gun: I haven’t yet seen it, hopefully tomorrow evening as I’m going to the pictures (the movies) then!

    Downton Abbey: I’m watching that tonight with my brother and his partner! So.excited.

    // The Current Obsessions //

    Pinterest: *hurriedly minimises Pinterest tab* Yup I totally agree

    The Marauders: I know I know I totally get what you mean, sending tea and cookies

    Writing: I totally agree also, although my writing has been for assignments and my thesis but on the plus side when I’ve done this Masters I can do my PhD! Yippee!!

    Well I must away sadly, my thesis is calling.

    Lovely to meet you again Miss Woodhouse,

    ~ Miss Winifred

    https://lettersfromavonlea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Comments absolutely make my day so tell me what you're thinkin!!