Saturday, June 20, 2020

Some Thoughts on the new Emma

Well Friends. I went back and forth quite a bit on whether I wanted to actually see this movie or not. The preview did not look very promising, and it appeared as though they were trying to turn my dear Emma into, well... a spoof. So I was very apprehensive going into this.



Yesterday I caved and watched it. 

And... I didn't hate it. I actually quite enjoyed much of it.

Does it replace my beloved 2009, Ramola Garai, Absolute Perfection, Johnny Lee Miller aka THE KNIGHTLEY, Emma? 

No it does not. 

But. I liked it more than I was expecting too. 

I will try to keep this post organized, but it will probably end up being a thought dump, so please bare with me.



To start, the overall aesthetic of the movie was veeeeery lovely. The colors, the houses, the clothes, the scenery, I loved it a lot. In fact, that was probably my favorite part of the whole movie. Nice aesthetics always make me happy, and as far as I am concerned, this movie nailed it in that department. 

Let's move onto Emma. This particular Emma was definitely a little too... sharp for my liking. And I don't mean that in a mean way, Anya Taylor-Joy is just not what I picture Emma to look like. Also, what was with the tight, miniscule curls? Those were a little weird. 



However, I certainly didn't dislike her portrayal of Emma. But I did find that her Emma was much more dislikable as a character. I don't know if this was a good thing or not. Even Jane Austen believed that not many people would like Emma. And half of the point of this story is to see Emma go through a character transformation from self centered, slightly spoiled young lady to someone who genuinely cares about others and their feelings. And while we do see this, I don't feel like the change was as noticeable as it could have been. Emma only got a little bit nicer, and a little bit more conscientious of others. But I didn't feel like the ultimate transformation was there.

However, I did really like other aspects of Emma's character, including the relationship between her and Miss Taylor, as well as her and Harriet. We got to see a much softer and emotional side of Emma. Her love for Miss Taylor was really very sweet, and her friendship with Harriet was much more genuine, and I really appreciated that!

There were several little vignette's that gave us a peep into Emma and Harriet's friendship and I really liked those scenes. It showed us that there was more to their relationship than Emma just wanting someone as a plaything. She genuinely cared about Harriet and their relationship, which I think was a very nice touch. 



On that note, I was much more inclined to like this Harriet. She was very sweet and naive, but she seemed a little less stupid then the other Harriet's I have seen, which was refreshing. (But also, her obsession with Mr. Elton, was slightly creepy...?)

And I feel it should be noted, even though he's a minor character, that Mr. Weston was much more likable in this adaptation! He came off as bit silly and stupid in the 2009 Emma, but I really liked him in this one! and no it is not just because he is played by Lestrade whom I also happen to love. that has nothing whatsoever to do with it. what a notion. 

Ahem.

Mr. Woodhouse was also rather funny. I quite enjoyed his character. I found his first little entrance hop quite amusing. Also his barricade of fire shields was funny. And that is all I have to say on his account.

As for Mr. Elton, you couldn't even see his face behind that collar that was something like two feet tall. But he was a good Mr. Elton. I just found it irritating that he had no neck to speak of.  

And of course, we mustn't forget Mr. Knightley.



hhhrrrrrmmmmmm...

I honestly can't make up my mind. There were many times when I did like him (the badly done scene was well done, if you will. haha.) But there were other times when he just wasn't working for me. Maybe it was because I couldn't even really tell what his face looked like behind all that shaggy hair and two foot collar...? I don't know. But for now, Johnny Lee Miller will continue to remain intact as THE Mr. Knightley. 

And it should be noted that I Am Concerned. What, if I may ask, the heck was with the bare rear ends??? 



That is not cool. No one needs that. So please, movie producers, chill.  

Also, can we talk about the proposal scene? They almost had it!! They were so close! I almost loved it! And then... and then...

HeR NoSe sTarTs tO blEEd??? 



Whaaaaat was that??

Weird, that's what it was. 

I also have very mixed opinions of the soundtrack. There were several times when it was just a rather loud choir singing old hymns and folk songs and while in a different movie I think I would have liked it, it just really didn't fit here. Whenever it was instrumental music I thought the soundtrack was lovely, but the loud singing was not for me. 



And that draws us to a close. It seems that I have a few more negatives than positives on my list, but I promise that I do not despise it. All in all, there was actually quite a bit here that was Good Stuff. I would certainly watch it again simply for the pleasing aesthetic, but I also wouldn't mind seeing it again just because I did find myself enjoying it quite a bit.


So! Have you seen the new Emma and what are your thoughts? Do you have a favorite adaptation? Let's chat!

Yours Truly, 
Miss Woodhouse

16 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you had seen this! I haven't yet, but I am definitely interested, (ish, well, maybe.). It seems funny. I also haven't seen the 2009 though I really, really want to! My only worry is... Johnny Lee Miller. *gasps* Sorry! I just find Jeremy Northam to be the must perfect Knightley ever. And, I can only see JLM as Edmund Bertram! Still, I want to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MC! I must say, this is a VERY delayed response, but here we go anyways ;) Haha you should give it go! It definitely is interesting, but I'd say its probably worth the watch, if only just to form an opinion of it :D

      OHHHH YOU MUST WATCH IT!!! IT'S SO WORTH IT!! Haha, well to each her own, but I can definitely promise that Johnny Lee Miller will not be a disappointment ;) I haven't seen the Mansfield Park version with him, but I'd definitely like to, although I'm sure I would only be able to think of Mr. Knightley the whole time XD

      But YES!! YOU SHOULD! And do inform me the minute you do! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! :D

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen it for a lot of the same reasons you gave. The one thing that just makes me not want to watch it at ALL... is Mr. Knightly. When I first saw a clip of it I was like "who is this grow looking blond guy?" No! Mr. Knightly is a handsome gentleman that doesn't look stupid. That guy just has a stupid look on his face that weirds me out! I heard about the rear ends and nose bleed which seems like more reasons to not watch it. I am just really picky when it comes to movies and Emma 1996 is one of my favorite movies. I don't want to ruin it with a cross eyed dog faced girl. Yeah... sorry. Those are my thoughts. I am really glad that a true Emma lover reviewed this! Thank you!

    ~Beth
    bethinboots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! Yes, Mr. Knightley definitely doesn't look quite like he should. I did however, like the actors performance of him, so he was not wholly bad in my opinion.

      Yes, the rear ends and nose bleeds were a no from me. Like we could do just fine without them, thanks. I mean, in today's moving making world, the rear ends don't come as much of a shock, but really, the nose bleed had me SO CONFUSED! What was even the purpose?? I am most seriously displeased *sniffs*

      This Emma was definitely sharper, but I do think she, like Knightley, nailed a lot of the character, so I appreciated that :)

      Thank you for reading Beth!!

      Delete
  3. EEE yes, the 2009 Emma is my FAVORITE MOVIE EVER AHHH. I just watched this one and actually really liked it aside form Mr Knightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria!!

      YEEEESSSS!! *high fives* The 2009 version is sooo lovely :)

      I'm glad you liked it! I definitely enjoyed a good deal of it!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Ooh thank you!! Again, very late response, but I will definitely check it out! :D

      Delete
  5. WHY HAVE I NOT FOUND THIS BLOG SOONER. I am undyingly in love with Emma as a book and Emma as a 2009 BBC miniseries and I can't agree more with your sentiments as to Johnny Lee Miller's portrayal of Mr. Knightly. He is THE Mr. Knightly.

    That said, I'm glad to read a review of the new movie by someone else who loves the miniseries. I have not seen it, but from what I've heard, I don't even want to. XP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kendra!! I'm so glad you're here!!!

      YES YES YES!! I actually haven't read the book yet (shocking, I know) but it is at the top of my TBR list!! And the 2009 version is soooo perfect and lovely, and YES GIRL! Johnny Lee Miller as THE Knightley!!! *high fives*

      Hehe, yes it was a very interesting take on the story, but not all bad, in my opinion :) But I was definitely up in the air about watching it for a good while.

      Thank you so much for commenting Kendra!!

      Delete
    2. Oh YES! You need to read it! :D

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you didn't hate this one!

    I loved it, but I was expecting to love it, because I generally get a kick out of parodic takes on stories I already like. ;) Plus the trailers already had me on board.

    I agree, Anya Taylor-Joy's Emma was sharper and less likable than some other iterations . . . which I think is appropriate, but I can understand why other people would dislike it.

    Harriet was fantastic! I loved her. xD

    Great review!

    Also, I nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award, if you're interested. No pressure, of course. :D

    http://meanwhileinrivendell.blogspot.com/2020/09/sunshine-blogger-award.html

    Hope you're well! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olivia! Hehe yes, I definitely liked it quite a bit more than I was expecting to!

      There are really some great parodic takes on original stories out there, but I'm definitely a little more than biased, so I went in a little apprehensively ;) That's so funny, because the trailer is what had me saying, "ah, heck no." XD

      I agree, the sharper Emma was probably a little more accurate to the original character, which of course, causes everyone to like her less ;D

      I really liked this Harriet too! I feel like her and Emma's friendship had a lot more development, which I really loved!!

      Aww thank you!! I was thrilled when I noticed you tagged me, so I will definitely be filling that out soon!! :D

      Aw, thank you, I am!! I hope you are too! <3

      Delete
    2. I personally find Emma likable in the book. She's flawed, yes, and can be too meddlesome and sometimes doesn't think before she speaks, but overall, I think it all serves to make her an imperfectly perfect character. So the more likable portrayal by Romola Garai is what I consider to be more accurate to the book. Emma is not "mean" like some people say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

      Delete
  7. Hi, Miss Woodhouse - Grace and I nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award:
    https://maidensofgreengables.blogspot.com/2020/09/sunshine-blogger-award-2020.html

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Comments absolutely make my day so tell me what you're thinkin!!