Thursday, June 29, 2017

Top 5 Favorite Period Drama Gossips: #5 Miss Bates



Hello peeps! Sorry this was so long in coming but I've been terribly busy trying to register for the Fall college semester and putting in a garden and babysitting and oh my, am I tired!! So do bear with me if my posts are long and far apart for awhile. 

 So here is my first Gossip post. I'm excited to finally get this started, though I must say I had quite the time trying to think up 5 gossips to discuss (yet another reason why this is late :P) But here it is...


Now I wasn't sure if Miss Bates counted as a gossip or not. Yes, she is a prattler, but other than going on and on and on about Jane, she doesn't talk about other people that much. But then I remembered the "Have you heard, Mr. Elton is to be married!" comment, and then a few others, and eventually it was decided that she qualified. So here she is folks...

Tamsin Greig as Miss Bates; Emma (2009)

Miss Bates is a middle aged spinster who lives with her elderly mother (who doesn't talk, possibly because her daughter does all the talking that needs to be done.) Her niece Jane Fairfax is her pride and joy and has lived with the Campbell family since she was little, because the Bates lost their fortune and were forced to leave their lavish home for a little cottage in the village. Jane writes letters to her aunt each week, which Miss Bates takes great pleasure in reading to all her neighbors. 

Miss Bates is really a very sweet character. Of course everybody has their moments where they find her annoying, but she really means well. Jane Austen says it better...

“Miss Bates enjoyed a most uncommon degree of popularity for a woman neither young, handsome, rich, nor married. Miss Bates stood in the very worst predicament in the world for having much of the public favour; and she had no intellectual superiority to make atonement to herself or frighten those who might hate her into outward respect.  She had never boasted either beauty or cleverness.  Her youth had passed without distinction, and her middle of life was devoted to the care of a failing mother and the endeavor to make a small income go as far as possible.  And yet she was a happy woman, a woman whom no one named without goodwill.  It was her own universal goodwill and contented temper which worked such wonders.  She loved everybody, was interested in everybody’s happiness, quick-sighted to everybody’s merits; thought herself a most fortunate creature, and surrounded with blessings in such an excellent mother and so many good neighbors and friends and a home that wanted for nothing.  The simplicity and cheerfulness of her nature, her contented and grateful spirit, were a recommendation to everybody and a mine of felicity to herself.”
Emma, chapter 3
Sophie Thompson as Miss Bates; Emma (1996)

Miss Bates is a happy creature by nature, and everybody likes happy people. Her devotion to Jane is another thing that really stands out to me. Sure, she talks on and on about her, boring everyone to death, as Emma says, but it's because she loves Jane and is just so proud of her. I love the scene where Jane plays piano at the Cole's party and Miss Bates is simply glowing.  

Isn't she cute!

Another scene that shows how much she cares about Jane is when she is telling Emma about Jane taking the governess job, and she begins to cry. She loves Jane so much and wants the best for her, which she can't give her. 

Miss Bates is also hilarious! The way she prattles on and on, and her flittery movements are great!

She also has a very forgiving spirit. Miss Bates was very willing to forgive Emma after Box Hill, which really would take a lot of grace.

LOVE this gif! Miss Bates to a T!
Best Miss Bates Quotes

" It's such happiness when good people get together... and they always do!"

" Three things very dull indeed! That will do just for me, you know. I shall be sure to say three dull things as soon as ever I open my mouth, shan't I! Do not you all think I shall!"

Emma: " I'm going to ask Mr. Knightley to teach me Chinese! Do you think Jane could read Chinese?"
Miss Bates: " Oh I'm sure, I'm sure she could. I thought it was backwards. I'm sure Jane is equal to anything."


And so ends my first installment of Period Drama Gossips! I hope you all enjoyed it!

What do you think of Miss Bates? Do you think she counts as a gossip?

12 comments:

  1. Loved this Miss Woodhouse!! Gossips are funny, but sometimes it can turn out to be a totally wrong gossip, which isn't actually true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yes that happens a lot, which is why I like writing about these gossips in particular, because they never gossip malitously, just informativley, as they would probably say ;)

      So glad you enjoyed it! And thank you so much for my header, I love it!!! <3<3

      Delete
    2. Aww, thank you dear!! <3 <3 <3
      I was really happy that you asked me to make a header. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Poor Miss Bates. At least she had a happy ending. (I always felt very bad for her.) At least she wasn't a mean gossip.

    Great post. I love period dramas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lissy! Thank you for commenting!

      I know, I always did too. Especially at Box Hill :( But yes, she got her happy ending!

      Glad you liked it! And agreed, period dramas are great :D

      Delete
  3. Aww, Miss Bates! She's such a sweet, kindhearted lady--and also very amusing at times! ;)

    I'm looking forward to reading the next posts in this series! What a clever idea to focus on period drama gossips. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed!

      Aww thank you Molly! I'm excited to begin working on the next one!! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, Miss Bates, you are sort of a gossip. That gif of her from the 1996 is SO perfect!

    This post was so good Miss Woodhouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is a semi-gossip XD Yes I absolutely LOVE that gif :D

      Thank you so much MovieCritic :)!!

      Delete
  5. Oh, yes, Miss Bates is such a dear! She means well and has such a kind heart. Wonderful post, Miss Woodhouse. I am looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is, isn't she! Yes, I like very much :)

      Aww thank you Dear!!

      Delete

Hello there! Comments absolutely make my day so tell me what you're thinkin!!