Thursday, October 22, 2020

Now, where to begin?

Hello lovelies!

If you haven't already guessed from the title, followed by the photos that Sorta Give It Away, I am about to write a post about the new Netflix movie Enola Holmes, aka The Movie That Left Me In Love, In Tears, and Gave Me Approximately 47 Heart Attacks.

*ahem*

I wasn't made aware of the existence of this movie until about two weeks before its release when a friend showed me the preview. The preview in itself was enough to make me very excited. So when it was released, I watched it as quickly as I could possibly hit the play button. 

AND YOU GUUUUUUYYYYYYYSSSSSSS

You know when you find a movie that just is so amazing that you want to share it with practically everyone, but at the same time, you don't, because it's your precious and you're afraid other people won't appreciate it like you do?

That is this movie for me.

The gorgeous aesthetic, the adventurous music, the perfect acting, the amazing storyline, the precious characters, THE STINKIN CUTEST SHIP!! 

Suffice to say

I Love It.

So I will share it because it deserves to be shared. And also because I NEED SOMEONE TO FANGIRL WITH!

So firstly, Millie Bobby Brown as Enola (which backwards, spells Alone, in case ya don't know) was perfection!! She was so cute and tough at the same time, and managed to pull it off without being annoying, which is a feat in itself.

I loved that she had the same smarts as Sherlock (who is also amazing by the by), yet is still learning how to wield them, and we see her slowly maturing throughout all her experiences as the movie goes on. All in all, she was perfectly perfect. 

(Also if I could learn karate now so I can be just as kick butt as she is, that would be great, thanks.) 

Of course, we must also address young Viscount Tewkesberry, the Marquis of Basilwhether

aka THE MOST PRECIOUS CINNAMON ROLL. 

HE MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS.

*SEMI-SPOILERS*

which *cough* doesn't exactly happen... 

*distant sobbing*

*END SPOILERS*

Seriously though, he was a darling character. Him and Enolaaaaaaa. I mean that boy was smitten after knowing her for 2 and 1/2 seconds.

 And we stan our hopeless romantic, garden loving, slightly squeamish, yet extremely resilient Marquis of Basilwhether. 



*SPOILERS*

And as much as I wanted a Holmesberry kiss, I can very much appreciate where they left the relationship. It's obvious that they both have feelings for each other, but Enola isn't there yet. She's spent most of her life rebelling against the idea of a husband, so the whole falling in love thing is a bit of new territory for her and something she has to get used to. So I really like that they didn't force the relationship to move too fast just because that's what audiences want. I have no doubt that Enola will come around very soon, but for now, I am satisfied :)

(but the hand kiss was still great)


*END SPOILERS*

Ok, I will say no more on their score. Just that you should watch it and you will love it and you will ship it.


Enola and her mother had such a lovely, lovely relationship. Even though we only saw that relationship through mostly flashbacks, you get such a good feel for the two of them and I love it.

Helena Bonnaham Carter was fabulous, as she always is. For some strange reason, slightly eccentric characters are really my cup of tea. 

A Few More Thoughts in Bullet Points so that I Have Some Organization...

  •  I must be allowed to geek out for a moment about the cinematography. The way they incorporated flashbacks with the present shots, as well as little moments like the shots of the cliff edges just made my creative heart go !!!!!!!
  • The music makes me want to reimagine my life and go on an adventure. So yes, catch me listening to the soundtrack for the next forever and awhile. 
  • The aesthetic is everything dried flowers, trains, cobblestones, windblown hair, old parchment, watercolor, long skirts, dark hallways, and golden fields. Which is another way of saying Practically Perfect in Every Way.
  • "What made you like me more?"
  • The relationship between Sherlock and Enola (all the great sibling relationship/teaming up/mentorship vibes)
  • PLOT TWISTS
  • "I know jujitsu" *does little karate hands*
  • The breaking the fourth wall style of narration was very interesting. Normally, I don't love that kind of stuff, but it really worked in this movie. It was a really good method for showing us Enola's thought process.
  • the costumes are fan-freaking-tastic!
  • Sherlock. If you've seen it, you'll understand ;)

So, how to conclude...

Please watch this.

Please love it

And if you don't, please don't tell me, because I will take it very personally. 

(Not really.) (But Maybe ;))

So! Have you all seen Enola? What are your thoughts?! Hope you are all doing great! 


Yours Truly, Miss Woodhouse

13 comments:

  1. My sister sent me the trailer and I got so excited! I don't have Netflix, so I can't watch it, but I dog sit for a couple who do, so the next time I have the chance I'll watch it then come back with a longer comment. :) It looks so cute and good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes!! Do come back when you've watched it and we can properly fangirl! :D

      Delete
    2. My family got Netflix last month so I watched this the other day! My older sister had watched it first and loved it so I convinced my younger sister to watch it with me. She was very reluctant because she does not like the 2009 Sherlock Holmes (which the rest of us love) and thought it was going to be like that. Now she says it's her new favorite movie.

      Needless to say, I loved it, too! It so aesthetically pleasing, has great relationships, and such a complex plot (saying that you had 47 heart attacks is the truth of the matter! I don't know how I survived. XD). It is basically the dictionary definition of "fun"!

      THE SHIP. Those two are so adorable together I can't even handle it!! <3 Sherlock was marvelous!! Just a huge YYYYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSS to every single thing that you said. :D

      Delete
  2. i actually watched it the day it released on Netflix so i was definitely excited for it!! I loved it so much!!!! Sherlock was one of my favorite things about it ;)

    Now i want to rewatch it lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeess!! I'm so glad you loved it! Oh yes yes yes, I have to agree with you my dear ;)

      Same!

      Delete
  3. Ok, I really want to see this now!!! Not sure how that will happen, but I want it to!!! Thanks for the review Miss Woodhouse!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should!! Thank you for the comment Grace!! :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE Enola Holmes!! It absolutely deserves to be shared, and YOU deserve to have someone to fangirl with. Thus, here I am. XP I agree with everything you said in this post, especially the CUTEST SHIP EVER part. *squeals along with you* The cleverness of it, I appreciate as well. It's not just pure action, or humor, but a mix of both with a lot more thrown in. Plus, the acting was amazing, and the COSTUMES = perfection. I really hope they come out with a sequel *crosses fingers*

    Anyways. It's so cool to find someone who loves this movie as much as I do! I hope you have wonderful rest of your day. <3

    ~ Scarlett | An Attempt at Authenticity
    https://a4andme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scarlett! YAY!! Let us fangirl!!!

      YES SO STINKIN CUTE!! They give me all the warm fuzzies :) <3

      Same here! I love movies that have a good blend of everything and this movie nailed it. And YES to the acting, and YES to the costumes!! I kind of want all of them ;)

      Me too!! A sequel would be amazing! (as long as Tewkesberry is still in it ;))

      Same! Thank you so much for stopping by! Thank you!! I hope you have a lovely day too! <3

      Delete
  5. GOSH !!!! THIS MOVIE. WHERE TO START....

    First of all I'm incredibly sorry for not responding sooner ! Haven't been on blogger for a while and missed out on loads of posts from my fellow bloggers. So sorry for that :).

    I ADORE this movie so much! And your review is splendid. I am fangirling all this time about this splendid movie and it's already december!

    Holmesberry was absolutely CUTE and the handkiss made me swoon more ! A kiss would be super too but the handkiss though......AND HIS EYES !

    I love Millie so much ! She has been an inspiration for me and I can't wait to see more of her ! And Louis Paltridge, absolute cutie <3

    SOOOO... we need a sequel that would be amazingg.....

    I am super thrilled to have heared your thoughts about this movie <3

    Have nice day and enjoy it ! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES!!! MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!

      No worries at all!! So happy to see you back! :) <3

      Aww thank you! Same, I still need to watch it 27 more times!!

      YEEESSS. SO MUCH STINKIN CUTENESS!!

      I looooove Millie! Same here! She was fabulous as Enola! And Louis Partridge is such a cinnamon roll!!

      A sequel would be lovely! As long as Tewkesberry is there ;)

      Thank you so much for the comment Rachel!! I'm so glad to see you back!!

      Delete
  6. Hello Miss Woodhouse! I'm just hopping over here to let you know that I tagged you over at my blog! I totally understand if you don't have time to fill out tags right now, but I thought of you and wanted to give you the opportunity just in case!

    http://marchramblings.blogspot.com/2020/12/12-delights-of-christmas-tag.html

    I hope you're doing well!

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Miss March! I was actually just looking for something Christmassy to post, so you had perfect timing! ;D

      I hope you're doing lovely as well!

      Delete

Hello there! Comments absolutely make my day so tell me what you're thinkin!!