Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Book Review


Salutations everybody!! I'm finally sittin' myself down to write my first book review!

So I know that sometime ago, I'd heard of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, but all that I thought was, "Wow that's quite a name." and then moved on with my life. It wasn't until after I read this post, that I thought I would give it a go. The movie looks absolutely enchanting, (AND LILY JAMES AND JESSICA BROWN FINDLAY ARE BOTH IN IT AND THEY ARE TWO OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE ACTRESSES EVAH, SO YES AND YES). But I decided that I wanted to actually read the book first this time, so I toddled myself down to the library and checked it out.  

GUYS

GUUUUUUUUYS

IT WAS SOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!

I checked the book out on Friday and had finished it by Monday. It's the first book in awhile that has had me so completely hooked and unable to put down. It was funny, it was endearing, it was sad, it was sweet, just ADSHKDASKIRLDHFLD!!!!!

*pauses for a moment because Perfect by Ed Sheeran just came on, and the full beauty of this song must be appreciated, and because I can't sing and type at the same time*

*song ends and typing resumes*


The characters of this book are just so life like and I want to write letters to Juliet (Letters to Juliet, anyone? ;)), and walk along the cliffs with Dawsey, and make potions with Isola, and throw teapots at Gilly Gilbert, and go Eben's bonfire parties, and just be a part of their lives! 

I suppose I should talk about Juliet, as she is the main character. I absolutely love her. She is spunky, and caring, and endearing and has A+ sass #KILLERSNARKINESS #YOUGOJULIET


Her correspondence with Dawsey is the cutest thing. AND DAWSEY!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST LOVE HIM TO LITTLE ITTIE BITTIE BITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a thing for the quite, shy type of guys, and Dawsey just tops them all. *sends hugs to Dawsey*

*MAJOR SPOILER ALERT* So, we also need to talk about Elizabeth. Cause she was amazing and I loved her, and couldn't wait until they found her and she and Juliet could meet. And then, they get the news that she was killed at Ravensbruck. *anguished sobs*

WHY?!?!?! WHY DID THE AUTHOR HAVE TO KILL HER?!? I WANTED HER TO COME BACK SO BADLY. I guess it ended up working itself out fine, and that really was the realities of the war, BUT I'M STILL UPSET!! *curls up in blanket burrito and eats chocolate* *End Major Spoiler Alert*


The imagery of the TGLAPPPS (you didn't think I was gonna spell out that whopper of a title every time, did you?) is absolutely fantastic. When *semi spoiler* Juliet finally goes to Guernsey, the way everything is described just absolutely makes me want to pack my bags and move there. The cliff top walks, the fields, the misty mornings, just PLEASE PLEASE CAN I GO THERE!!! #GUERNSEYORBUST  #I'MUSINGWAYTOMANYHASHTAGS

Unfortunately there was a little bit of content in the book. There was language sprinkled throughout, and one of the characters (I won't say who cause it would probably count as a spoiler) has a child out of wedlock, although that subject is skimmed over very briefly and the author does not go into detail. Also one of the characters, (whom I personally really liked, even after I found this out, although there was a noticeable decrease in the liking) is a homosexual. This has absolutely no bearing on the story, and wasn't necessary for any part of the story telling, so I have no idea why the author felt the need to stick it in there. *Growls at author* And of course, because much of this story talks about Guernsey during the German occupation, there are some harsh stories of the way the German's treat prisoners and locals of Guernsey. 


All this aside, it was a lovely, lovely book. I absolutely loved it and would highly recommend it. And now I'm super, super excited to see the movie. From what I've seen in the preview, I think they did a killer job of casting everyone!!! (except for Eben and Amelia. I'm not 100% happy with them yet.) I'm totally going to see it in theaters, and I'm dying for it to be released now!!!

So!! Have you all read this book yet? If you haven't, you totally need to!! If you have, what do you think of the casting choices? Are you excited as I am to see this movie!!!! LET US FANGIRL TOGETHER!!!


7 comments:

  1. Squeeeeelp the movie looks SO good! I need to reread the book :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES YES YES! This book is so good. I seriously cannot wait until the movie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Miss Woodhouse! I haven't read this book yet, but after watching the trailer I'm thinking maybe I should. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay. I loved that book. I'm so excited for the movie! :)
    -Amaris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I loved TGLAPPPS, too, and I'm excited for the movie! I need to reread it before the movie comes out. ;)

    Also, can I just say, I love the blog background, but especially the sidebar. It's just so sunny and happy and cozy and calming, all at the same time. Makes you feel peaceful and content and happy. :) A+++, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did enjoy it. Except until it mentioned that one character that I really liked *growls at Sidney* then I wanted to throw it across the room. After that, I couldn't really get back into it, but leading up to that point I liked it a lot. I am hoping to see the movie at one point.
    Nice review, Miss Woodhouse!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Comments absolutely make my day so tell me what you're thinkin!!