Tuesday, February 09, 2021

Period Drama Romances that Ironically Deserve More Love || Valentine's Period Drama Blog Party

We interrupt this program to bring you a second blog party, namely the Valentine's Day Period Drama Blog Party, hosted by Heidi! 


I'm starting off this second party with a little nod to a few of my favorite period drama couples! I decided to go with some lesser known couples who really deserve more love, although I couldn't resist throwing in some more popular ones, because sometimes they're just too cute!


Minnie and Alfie || Larkrise to Candleford

"See Minnie, you make me laugh."

These two are just cinnamon rolls. Yes, Minnie is a little silly. But that's who she is. I really appreciate that the writers didn't feel the need to change her character when she and Alf became a couple. Alf is just a sweetheart who's got the weight of the world on his shoulders, and Minnie helps him carry that weight. She is the one who makes him smile.


Enola and Tewkesberry || Enola Holmes

"At least we have each other."

I have already talked about my love for these two, but all the more chance to fangirl talk about them. Theirs is a relationship built on trust, which coincidentally started with Enola asking, "Do you trust me?" to which Tewkesberry emphatically replied, "No!" 

Their relationship never gets further off the ground than a strong friendship (although sparks flew HARD) but they know that they have each others backs. And I have high hopes for a sequel in which they fall in love ;)


Emma and Mr. Knightley || Emma (2009)

"If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more."

Yes, they are a very popular couple, but they are so worth the hype. Emma is a flawed heroine, and Mr. Knightley is the ultimate gentleman. Their lifelong friendship is something that endears them as a couple. Emma teases, Mr. Knightley scolds, and together they have a bond that makes them such a beautifully functional couple.  


Peggy and William || Return to Cranford

"We have always been equals. Love makes people so."

Even though they are a lesser known couple, these two are REAL cute. REAL CUTE.

Peggy is a dear girl, who (because she is an ANGEL) takes care of her mother (who is horrible to her) and her brother (who is Trouble with a capitol T). 

She stumbles upon a young man named William (also a sweetheart) (played by Tom Hiddleston, himself)

 (of course that's not why I love him so much) (what a notion) 

William takes it upon himself to rescue her from her horrible family, and the rest is history. There may or may not be an angsty, dramatic scene where he rescues her from a train wreck *swoons* and a perfectly darling waltz to bring everything to a close.


Mary and Matthew || Downton Abbey

"I won't be happy with anyone else, as long as you walk the earth."

Another more popular couple, but I can't help it. Mary Crawley is a handful. She can be bitter, frosty, judgmental, and just plain mean. Until she meets Matthew. Matthew sees through the layers of prickliness to Mary's soft side, and she falls hard for his gentle yet determined manner. Theirs is a bumpy road to romance, but they are a couple who bring out the best in each other.


Juliet and Dawsey || The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

"Do you think it's possible to belong to someone before you've even met them?"

This is one of those soft, quiet relationships. The reassuring handholds,  the heartfelt letters, the kind encouragement. Dawsey and Juliet just have such a sweet connection from the very beginning. Their love of books and writing, and their strength to stand up for what they believe in makes them such a lovely couple.


Are any of these couples your favorites? Were there some that I didn't mention that you love? I've got sooooo many posts planed between both romantic blog parties, so I will be back very soon ;)


Yours Truly,

Miss Woodhouse

4 comments:

  1. Great choices! I’m going to be doing a post about Juliet and Dawsey soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to watch Cranford and Return to Cranford, I had it on my list for years and years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enola and Tewkesberry are adorable!! I loved them so much in a million ways. Mary and Matthew and Juliet and Dawsey are some of my favorite couples, too! I also completely love Sybil and Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tag!
    https://lettersfromavonlea.blogspot.com/2022/03/spotify-wrapped-tag.html#more

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Comments absolutely make my day so tell me what you're thinkin!!