Monday, February 15, 2021

Yet Another Romantic Tag || Valentine's Day Period Drama Blog Party

Happy day after Valentine's day! I'm a little late, but here are my answers to Heidi's Valentine's Day Period Drama Blog Party Tag!

1.) Your current three (or up to five!) favorite period dramas?

Emma (2009), Pride and Prejudice (1995), Downton Abbey, Anne of Green Gables, and Enola Holmes.


2.) What would you recommend to someone who’s never seen a period drama as a starter?

Probably Emma (2009) because it's so happy and pretty. It's quite long, but that matters not. (If you want to get into the period drama world, then you better get used to looooong movies.)


3.) A favorite couple that wouldn’t be included in answer #1 (cause I’m figuring those are already top favorites ;)) and/or a favorite secondary character romance? 

PERCY BLAKENEY AND MARGAURITE!! 

I recently read the Scarlet Pimpernel and I LOVE THESE TWO. They are both such strong characters who are really meant for each other (even though SOMEBODY is quite pigheaded for awhile! *throws a snuff box at Percy*)


4.) What do you consider foundational qualities for a healthy romance? 

Probably trust, patience, and good communication.


5.) Worst villain/antagonist?

Probably Rigaud from Little Dorrit. That man is straight up terrifying. 

(He doesn't get a picture, because no one wants to look at him.)


6.) A favorite proposal scene?

Aaaaaaaaalways Emma (2009). Nothing beats "If I loved you less I might be able to talk about it more."

I also really love Laurie's proposal to Amy in the book! It was so sweet and simple, and I am quite put out that all the movie versions saw fit to cut it!


7.) Favorite period drama characters based on a real life couple?

Katherine and James from Hidden Figures. They are so cute! (it's also an excellent movie!)


8.) Any classic b/w period dramas you like?

Hmmm, none are coming to mind. 


9.) Most mature romance in a period drama? (mature as in age and/or characters who are consciously and wisely ripened by life experience, etc.)

Janet and Alec from Road to Avonlea. It's a much lesser known period drama show, but it's lovely, and Alec and Janet are lovely. They have a firmly built relationship, and even though we see them go through marital struggles throughout the show, they always come back around. They are always there to love and support the other. 


10.) Most excruciatingly long, slow burn romance in a period drama?

Amy and Arthur from Little Dorrit. Like COME. OOOONNNNN. I love you Arthur, but OPEN YOUR EYES!!!


11.) A story that has multiple film adaptations where you love more than one of them?

I'm usually more of a One Film Adaptation Only kind of girl, but I recently saw the Sense and Sensibility miniseries (2008) and I loved it!! But I will still always love the 1995 version.


12.) A book you think needs to be made into a film (or a new adaptation)?

Sooooo many. But right now The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery and Rilla of Ingleside also by L.M. Montgomery are at the top of my list. Their both so good and so deserving of a well done film!


Thank you so much for hosting Heidi!! I do love any chance to rave about period drama couples ;) 


Yours Truly,

Miss Woodhouse

13 comments:

  1. Wait, there's a Scarlet Pimpernel movie? WHAT. I may need to watch that one of these days.
    And the Blue Castle totally needs a movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES THERE IS!! AND IT IS FABULOUS! You should definitely watch it if you ever get the chance!

      It really does! <3

      Delete
  2. I am very much like you in regards to question 11. 1995 is fully my favorite Sense and Sensibility, but the 2008 was charming!

    Laurie's proposal scene! I'd forgotten about that! <3 They also never do John Brooke and Meg justice in a few scenes in movie versions. At least, not ones that I'm content with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha, great minds think alike! Yes, 1995 is lovely in every way, but there was so much to love about 2008 as well! *coughDanStevenscough* ;)

      Yess it is so sweet! And YES AGREED! John and Meg deserve so much more!

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness, yes, a Blue Castle movie should be made. But it must be done properly. It would be much too easy to ruin it. I can never decide if I really want there to be one, or if I'm too scared of what might happen to it to actually wish there was one. And then I just go reread the book :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitly! Ooh yes, therein lies the problem. I think would rather have no movie than have them ruin it. But done right, it would be so perfectly lovely! Hehe same here ;) I am long overdue for a reread!

      Delete
  4. Great answers! Also the "(He doesn't get a picture, because no one wants to look at him.)" was really funny. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second your wish for The Blue Castle to be made into a film!! That would be lovely! (I think a mini-series would fit perfectly for that story)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be so perfectly lovely!! Oohh a mini-series would work well too!

      Delete
  6. I can't remember if I already mentioned this, but I love your header/entire blog aesthetic -- so fresh and pretty!

    And I really enjoyed your answers!

    I'm a die hard fan of The Scarlet Pimpernel book, but I think I might like the film more if I watched it again/now that I know a bit more what they changed etc. Anyway, you've kindled my interest to see it again. ;)

    YES indeed on Mr. Knightley and Emma. Always. <3 (And also on Laurie and Amy. They need to be much more talked of and have more satisfying scenes filmed -- there's so much scope for imagination there.)

    So happy you were able to join the party! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Heidi!!

      THE BOOK IS SO AMAZING!! I'm still not over it, so much fangirling over here ;) I saw the movie before I read the book, and while they definitely changed some things, I think the movie stayed very true to the spirit of the book. I definitely love both :)

      YES INDEED!! Yes, Amy and Laurie really got shorted so many times. I definitely agree. I think you may indeed be a kindred spirit, m'dear ;)

      Thank you so much for hosting! I had so much fun participating! <3

      Delete
  7. OH MY GOODNESS YES THERE NEEDS TO BE A FILM VERSION OF THE BLUE CASTLE!! *sniffs* I'm reading it right now and it's just incredible. (Also, I love Emma (2009)! It's so good!I want to watch it again soon.)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Comments absolutely make my day so tell me what you're thinkin!!